Lowering your impact on the environment is a lofty goal that takes time.
It takes A LOT of time.
As a result, it might be hard to stay motivated. And what better way to keep yourself excited about the journey than a couple of quick wins?
Below, you’ll find a bunch of easy actions you can take to lower your impact on the environment. Some of them can be repeated in a way that will create a new habit for you. Another win!
- Buy an item you want second hand
- Books can be bought from resellers
- Clothes can be bought from thrift stores
- Furniture can be bought from antique stores or second-hand stores
- Phones or other electronics can be bought second hand
- Walk or ride a bike instead of taking a car
- Take a tram or a bus instead of driving to work
- Plan and make a meal without meat
- Refuse a plastic bag in a store
- Buy a pantry staple in bulk
- Take a reusable water bottle with you when you leave the house
- Refuse a straw
- Buy your tea loose instead of bagged
- Don’t wrap your gifts
- Return egg containers to the farmers at your local market so they can reuse them
- Don’t throw out your old T-shirt, instead turn it into a cleaning rag
- Unplug your charger when you’re done using it
- Wash your laundry in cold water
- Hang dry your clothes
- If you have to print out something, do it in black and white.
- When grocery shopping, find one alternative for your item that’s not packaged in plastic
- Make your own cleaning product
- Close your curtains on hot days and use less AC
- Switch off monitors when not using them.
What other easy actions can you think of for a quick win or a way to start a new habit? Let me know in the comments below!